•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Saturday 16 January 2010

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus


Title: The NaNny Diaries
Series: The Nanny Diaries
Book #: 1
Author: Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Pages: 306
Publisher: ST. Martin's Griffin
Reading Level: Adult
Spotlight: Characters
Rating:.9

"But nobody ever knew what Mary Poppins felt about it, for Mary Poppins never told anybody anything."

Nan, in her early twenties, goes to work for the wealthy X family to help put herself through college, and is shocked by their antics. Between raising the X's son Grayer, keeping on top of her studies, moving house and ensuring Mrs X's day runs smoothly, it's a wonder Nanny ever finds time to hang out with the gorgeous HH on the sixth floor.

With divorce on the cards, Nanny finds herself caught up in the X's embittered world of power plays, lies and deceit. As communication rapidly breaks down,will Nanny be able to maintain the mental health of Grayer, despite the onslaught of Personal Problem Consultants, macrobiotic nutritionist and bilingual meals?

Taschima:

Nan, or Nanny, is a struggling senior at NYU who needs a job in order to pay rent and ll those other things you gotta pay when you are an adult. Thus comes Mrs. X to the picture. She offers nanny a job taking care of her four-year-old son Grayer. Nanny accepts and then the story goes on from there.

This story while humorous could at sometimes border on depressing.

Nan is this totally funny girl who you would love to be friends with but her character has things that I just couldn't tolerate. While I could understand her taking crap from her employer for the child's sake I thought that at some points enough was enough. If I were Nan I would have screamed at Mrs. and Mr. X a couple of times in the novel, in fact I think I did screamed at them a couple of times. She is kind hearted, but lets herself get pushed around.

Mrs. X is a complete bully. I dislike her so much. Even though at times she may seem human to you do not believe. She is the devil re incarnated. I wanted to call child services on her a couple of times.

I felt this book was rather a guide of the perks and downfalls of being a nanny. Perk number 1, once the kid gets used to you he can be so sweet you will care about him as if he were your own child. Downfall, he ain't really your child. Why did I felt this book was more of a guide? Because through the entire novel I didn't feel like we were heading towards a goal but rather just watching the journey. Kind of like The Time Traveler's Wife.

The ending left me with a lot of questions so I am happy there is a sequel. Oh and I watched the movie, and after I read the book I feel they did a wonderful job with the movie. The movie unlike the book has a goal, a point, which is very good for the movie because I feel that if they would have stick to the book completely we would have been left with a lot of questions, and by the end of it we would be asking ourself "Yeah, so? What's the point!"

It is a light enjoyable read though, and super funny, I think everybody should give this book a try. Not much on the romance department, even though there is one H. Hottie looming around.

7 comments:

  1. There's a sequel? I had no idea. I remember loving this book much more than I expected. I found it really funny and cute. But, yeah, I agree that the film had a little more depth that the book lacked.

    Great review, Tasch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considered picking up a copy of this one today. Now I wish I had LOL... Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good review! Don't think it is my type of book but still love hearing your opinion and may pick it up the next time I am at the library just to see. Happy Reading!

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrmm...I am not sure about this one. You were great with the review. I just don't know if I could deal with so many questions at the end. I mean I enjoy books that get you thinking. This just seems depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the movie and it was okay but I doubt I'll actually read the book but nice review girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really like the film, but maybe the book is better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. haven't seen the movie of read the book....will do both things soon!

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...