•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Sunday 24 January 2010

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves


Title: Bleeding Violet
Series: Should be, but ain't.
Author: Dia Reeves
Pages: 464
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Reading Level: Young Adult
Spotlight: Characters
Rating: .7

"Crazy never looked so beautiful"

Love can be a dangerous thing....

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.

Taschima:

My first favorite of 2010!

This book went above any expectation I had of it. It's dark, it's gory, strange beyond any doubt, and completely unique. Which makes it completely and utterly awesome.

Hannah is this crazy girl and when I say crazy I mean the whole combo. On the very first chapter we find out she hit her aunt with a rolling pin and a little after that she swears that if Rosalie kicks her out she is going to paint the walls with her own blood. I just said she was crazy! And one of the things about her is that she is sooo different from other female protagonist. She ain't all bad, but she ain't all good either. She has her good, bad, and ugly sides all in one character. Some things about her may bother you if you think the main character should be perfect that's for sure (example, she has a tendency to sleep around). Now, she doesn't try to be a hero. She doesn't have to save the world. She only wants for her mother to love her, and this is one of the main points that keep us glued to the book (other than Hannah herself, you never know what she is going to do next).

Other characters are Wyatt a guy that at first I didn't like, and even thought that I would never like him, but after he stop being an asshole he became a pretty lovable character. He is smart, he has guts, and he's hot. I don't love him, but I certainly can see why he and Hannah ended up together.

Another very important character is Hannah's mother. A woman who everybody admires, but that nobody talks to. Nobody knows about her; her character is so gray. Sometimes you just wanted to shake her even though you could understand where she was coming from.

I so loved this book, but I give it a 4.7 because I found out that it doesn't have a sequel and I didn't felt closure at the end. I felt like the second book could have been even better. So many paths were left open and a number of things unanswered. Like for example, Hannah can talk to her father, but her father is dead. Now, her father helped her with things Hannah didn't know about throughout the book and the whole time you could have think that maybe is her mind making her spooky hallucination but it couldn't be. Things happen that are not explain thoroughly and I so wished this book had another one coming up.

Is like Dia Reeves made me fall in love with Portero (the world of the book) and now she is taking it away without giving me time to heal, and a number of 'why's' were left behind.

Oh and just so you know, it may be YA but there is sex, cursing (I believe), and other disturbing things so if you do not feel comfortable with this don't read it.

I loved it, I so did. Everybody should read it.

12 comments:

  1. This one looks so good! Great review, i can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Now I really want to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OhMAN, I have to read this!! Sounds like Hannah is SO going to remind me of one of my best friends from high schooL! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the unsatisfying ending and no sequel. Glad you loved it. Sounds fun! I've got i on my list. Also, I think it's great that you make a note of the sex and cursing. For YA I think it's good for people to know so they can make their own choice.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this so bad! Thankyou for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started this one... it's amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your review and I appreciated your mentioning the "sex" and "cursing." IMO they belong in YA when they develop character and drive plot. In this book, it seems they did or you wouldn't have "loved it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review and thanks for being so honest. I've had friends who read this book and they felt the same way about the ending as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I. Must. Read. This. Book. End of story. Thanks for your wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review, I'll be picking this one up very soon...I love edgy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm....it seems a little bit too intense for me, but great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic review. I can't wait to read Bleeding Violet.

    Destiny Blaine

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...