•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Friday 31 December 2010

I Cast the Bright Young Things

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the roaring twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey have escaped their small Midwestern town to chase their big city dreams. In New York, they meet Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have everything she could ever want.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls’ fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart.

I loved this novel!! It captured the spirit of the era, the characters were enchanting and super interesting, plus the plot is never what you would expect! All in all a great read; it met my expectations and beyond. But then again, it's Anna Godbersen, with her novels you always get your money's worth. Have you read her The Luxe series? Best ever! Read it whenever you have a chance.

Anyways, I'm here today because when I read the novel I kind of got how Cordelia's character would look in my imaginary movie pretty quickly, so after her I started looking for Letty and Astrid, and this is what I came up with:






Actress's name: Willa Holland
Best Known For: The OC as Kaitlin Cooper and Gossip Girl as Agnes Andrews.
My Comment: She is perfect for Cordelia, just perfect. Oh and she doesn't have brown eyes,
but this is the 21st century and contacts are in.
Description of Cordelia Grey:
"John Field swept the veil from Cordelia Grey's pretty face to kiss his new bride, but he knew in his heart, she would never truly be his. Cordelia is too full of life and ambition for Union, Ohio—or a small-town boy like John. That's why the long-legged beauty snuck away with her best friend Letty later that night to board a train to Manhattan.
Her translucent brown eyes are wide open to all the glorious possibilities."
She also has high, fine cheekbones, and honey-and-bark colored hair.



 


 



Actress name: Taylor Swift
Best Known For: She sings, ever heard You Belong With Me, and Mine? 
Also she acted on Valentine, and other films.
My Comment: My reasoning for this pick is this, she sings, she can act (I think, if not she can learn), and she has the flapper look (have you seen her eyes?). I think she can be Letty. Also she is a blonde but as you can see in the last pick she looks gorgeous with dark hair and as you can see in the other picks she looks fantastic with her hair up which is just one step above short hair.
Description of Letty Larkspur:
"Lots of girls in Union, Ohio think they're special, but from the start, Letty Haubstadt was too special for Union. The way she moves, the quality of her voice, the striking way her bright blue eyes play against the pitch black hue of her hair—she has an attention-drawing quality that her mother always referred to as her magic.
Secretly reading Photoplay magazine, and hearing Fanny Brice sing "My Man" on a receiver radio in town only strengthened her resolve. Letty's best friend, Cordelia Grey, insisted they would leave Union one day to pursue Letty's singing career in New York City. That day has finally come. Cordelia's courage helped Letty find her way to Manhattan—the rest is up to her."


 


 


Actress name: Ashley Benson
Best Known For: Pretty Little Liars as Hannah Marin
My Comment: Astrid was by far the most difficult to cast. I went through so many options before I finally landed on this actress. I thought of Blake LivelyCandice AcolaKeira Knightley, and even Alexis Bledel, but they all seems either too old/experienced, too a gossip girl icon, or just not perfect for the part. I choose this girl not for her role in Pretty Little Liars (never seen it) but because when I see the cover of the Bright Young Things book and see her picture they look alike and when I imagine her portraying emotion I think she can pull it off as Astrid.
Description of Astrid Donal:

"Most days, it's well past noon when the lovely Astrid Donal lifts her sleepy blond head to face the day. Perhaps she fell asleep star-gazing, nestled against a mink coat on the pristine lawn of the Marsh estate. Or she may find herself wrapped in buttery silk sheets on the sumptuous bed in her suite. Wherever Astrid wakes, she greets the morning with memories of the night—dancing 'til dawn at decadent parties, sipping champagne with other frivolously fun girls."
I love my cast! It took me a little time to put it together, but they are each perfect for the part in my eyes. What actresses would you have picked?  Oh and if you click on the names of the characters it leads you to their respective page for more information.

7 comments:

  1. I so need to get on with reading this, it sounds fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cast! They're great choices. I was just wondering, what's your dream cast for the hunger games and vampire academy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jen That one was the hardest! Thank you ;)

    @Blueicegal You definitely should!

    @Sil Thanks!! Here is my dream cast of Vampire Academy:

    http://bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-dream-vampire-academy-cast.html

    And here is a cast for The Hunger Games:

    http://bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-cast-hunger-games.html

    I also have one for The Iron King:

    http://bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-cast-iron-king.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book yet (I'm dying to!) but this looks like an awesome cast. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the book yet, but I'dtotally say that Taylor Swift has the looks to play the part of a start-of-19th-century girl. Don't know why, but she does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with Cordelia! I think that is basically how I imagined her. (And it's always fun to throw random OC characters into the mix!) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...