•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Tuesday 23 March 2010

New Goodies

**+5 if comment**

Well, it sucks not having a laptop. Now I depend on my mother's laptop... which is not good. Not the laptop, the laptop is fine. But the dependance... not so much.

Ladies, Gents, take care of your laptops, love them, because you so need them. "You never know what you have till it's gone." Couldn't agree more with that.

I got some stuff, but, they are scattered aroung the house.... I will put here what I can see from where I am.


(Art Not Final)

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publish Date: May 4, 2010

Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) is the author of the beloved Little Women, which was based on her own experiences growing up in New England with her parents and three sisters. More than a century after her death, Louisa May Alcott's stories continue to delight readers of all ages.

•-♥-•


Reading Level: Adult
Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Harper Paperback
Publish Date (Reprint Edition): January 5, 2010

Meet the Roncalli and Angelini families, a vibrant cast of colorful characters who navigate tricky family dynamics with hilarity and brio, from magical Manhattan to the picturesque hills of bella Italia. Very Valentine is the first novel in a trilogy and is sure to be the new favorite of Trigiani's millions of fans around the world.

In this luscious, contemporary family saga, the Angelini Shoe Company, makers of exquisite wedding shoes since 1903, is one of the last family-owned businesses in Greenwich Village. The company is on the verge of financial collapse. It falls to thirty-three-year-old Valentine Roncalli, the talented and determined apprentice to her grandmother, the master artisan Teodora Angelini, to bring the family's old-world craftsmanship into the twenty-first century and save the company from ruin.

While juggling a budding romance with dashing chef Roman Falconi, her duty to her family, and a design challenge presented by a prestigious department store, Valentine returns to Italy with her grandmother to learn new techniques and seek one-of-a-kind materials for building a pair of glorious shoes to beat their rivals. There, in Tuscany, Naples, and on the Isle of Capri, a family secret is revealed as Valentine discovers her artistic voice and much more, turning her life and the family business upside down in ways she never expected. Very Valentine is a sumptuous treat, a journey of dreams fulfilled, a celebration of love and loss filled with Trigiani's trademark heart and humor.

•-♥-•



Reading Level: Adult
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Harper
Publish Date: February 9, 2010

**SPOILERS**

Valentine Roncalli, shoe designer for the family-owned, New York-based Angelini Shoe Company, is entering a rough patch. Her grandmother has found true love, uprooted herself, and moved to Italy, leaving the specialty shoe business to Valentine and her contentious financial whiz of a brother, Alfred. Along with the care and handling of their large, loud Italian family. When a business venture brings Valentine to Buenos Aires to meet a distant cousin who also owns a shoe factory, she’s in for a surprise: her cousin is black. Valentine’s great-grandfather had split with his brother, and nobody knew why until now. The discovery of this long-buried secret stuns the entire family, who must now try to heal the breach. Family is family, after all. Trigiani’s exciting sequel to Very Valentine (2009), and the second book in a trilogy about Valentine and her family, is a vibrant, warm story about family ties, duty, and love.

•-♥-•



Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publish Date: December 29, 2009

Jena, Dakota, Skye, and Owen are all at Paradise—the resort in the Caribbean, that is—for different reasons, but in Paradise their lives become tangled together in ways none of them can predict. Over the course of four months, through four voices and four stories, what happened in Paradise will change them all.

In this extraordinary novel, the Printz Honor–winning author brings us her most accomplished work yet. Tangled is a story of the secrets we keep, the risks we take, and the things we do for love.

•-♥-•



Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 535 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Chicken House
1st Us Edition edition (2003)

Meggie's father Mo has an interesting talent: when he reads aloud, things, and sometimes people, come out of their stories and into the real world! But now the evil Capricorn wants to use Mo's talents to bring himself great wealth and power. Then Meggie discovers that maybe Mo isn't the only one who can read things to life. This is an enchanting story full of adventure, suspense, and magic. The characters are vivid and delightful. Unlike many books for younger readers there is a distinct emphasis on the importance of family as seen in the close relationship between Meggie and her father. Unfortunately the author does include several instances of mild profanity which seems totally unnecessary in a children's book and is perhaps the biggest detractor from the story. Lightly magical, humorous, and fun, Inkheart will appeal to those who like adventure and fantasy, and to anyone who ever wished a story could come to life.

•-♥-•



Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Publish Date: April 13, 2010

Grade 6–9—It may be a universal constant that siblings find ways to torment one another, and Wilson offers techniques for honing the rivalry to an art. From traditional moves such as "two for flinching" noogies, and pinching or tripping to more sophisticated techniques, like making "chocolate milk" from dog poo and inflicting other gross-outs on unsuspecting sibs, Wilson has all the moves covered. Unfortunately, while his humor is usually in the right place, many of his techniques could be truly dangerous: the "seat belt sling" advises swinging the buckle like a mace, and while a caution is offered ("Don't sling the belt unless you are ready to chip your brother's tooth and go live with Grandma for a few weeks"), readers may not take it seriously. Other techniques involve sitting on younger or smaller siblings to subdue them, or causing humiliation in front of their friends, which could lead to actual physical or psychological harm in the long run. Overall, the hurtful spirit of much of the book and the real potential for damage in some "techniques" make it hard to find an audience that is both young enough to appreciate the humor but old enough to know where to draw the line. School libraries in particular will want to stick with Wilson's How to Survive a Robot Uprising (2005).

So yeah, pretty good batch this week if I may say. I love the cover of Tangled, and I can't wait to read the Valentine books. I started Inkheart a long time ago but stopped because I just couldn't get into the story. But then again, it was a long time ago, and I was not as good a reader as I am now...

Hope you guys get a review this week, and just so you know next week is spring break so Ill have a LOT of time for the blog!

See ya,


27 comments:

  1. Lovely books you got there! I just read Inkheart in the past week and in spite of finishing it, I don't think that I'm thoroughly enchanted by the story. Hurm, not that I don't like it, but I think it's lacking in something. Or perhaps it is just me? For that reason, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. Enjoy your books and yes, I'll go hug my laptop after this, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I have, like zero interest in Little Vampire Women. *Shrugs* Not entirely sure why.... Inkheart looks awesome. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get my hands on "Little Vampire Women".
    The next classics I expect to see ravaged by vamps--"Vampire Hunter Nancy Drew cleans up the Hardy Boy Vamps"

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com

    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    (\___/)
    (='.'=) Happy Easter from Bun!
    (")_(")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read InkHeart, but I saw the movie. It was kind of odd, but kind of good in a way. Not something I would want to see all the time..

    Little Vampire Women looks kinda good. Cover art is snazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, the same thing happened to me this week! What, is this Revenge of the Laptops week or something? lol. My laptop's screen went all black on Friday night, so now I have to use my mom's laptop when she doesn't need it. My laptop arrives in a week and it's soo long! Hope you get yours soon!

    Inkheart is awesome. I still have the third and last book to read, but it's a great series. Slow in parts, but still great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your computer woes :(

    Little Vampire Women has me intrigued. It seems so wrong to do that to a classic yet I want to read it LOL
    Inkheart was really good. One of my favorite reads last year.
    Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay first off... Little Vampire Women? Awesome! I have a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I have yet to read, I wanted to save it for when I had more straight reading time :). Also, I do love Inkheart! It takes a while to get into but it is worth it in the end. What a great list of books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard about Tangled, but never really looked into it. The rest, I've never heard about until today, except for Inkheart. It rings a bell. I think I saw it at the bookstore, or I was just delusional. Hehe. Am looking forward to reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my laptop died too, with my harddrive, everything unretrieveable :'(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inkdeath is amazing, you will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of great books!

    I just finished spring break - wonderful! Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The very idea of Little Vampire Women makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so understand you about the laptop ... mine die two days ago and I'm freaking out!!! Using the PC of the library at my college ...

    So, tangled was the one that caught my attention...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome batch. :D I like the cover of Tangled a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw the movie Inkheart and enjoyed it. haven't read the actual book though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would really like to read tangled! awesome goodies!

    PD: i'm in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read Inkheart, but I did enjoy the movie, so I bet it's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little Vampire Women looks like fun!

    So sorry about the laptop. Any word on a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read Ink Hearts a LONG time ago, but I remember really enjoying it. Of course, that was when I was about ten years old, so....

    Tangled looks really good. Hope you enjoy it! And I'm sorry bout the laptop problems. That's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tagged you in a meme on my blog, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had Inkheart for a while, but haven't picked up yet. I'm interested to see what your take on it will be this time through. Not interested in the Little "Vampire" Women at all. I think people should stop trying to add supernatural twists to all of these classics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to read Bro-jitsu XD;
    my bro and I usually get along though lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. How awesome I love Little Women the classic version. And I just finished Pride And Prejudice And Zombies: Dawn Of The Dreadfuls. I'm a huge fan of spin-offs on the classics you'll have to let me know if it's any good. I know I laughed pretty hard imagining Elizabeth as a zombie slayer so vampire sisters can't be too far off the mark! Thx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh all these classics mixed up with paranormal start go get really annoying... Little Vampire Women? Really? URGH!

    YAY for Inkheart though, it's a German book and I'm from Germany :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooooh, Tangled by Carolyn Mackler looks reallyyyy good!

    I got Little Vampire Women a few months ago, but I haven't read it yet. Can't wait to see what you think of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great books! I don't quite know how I feel about Little Vampire Women...they also have Little Women and Werewolves. :D
    kghobbs(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...