•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Monday 15 June 2009

"Vampirism Is SO Overrated"

This is a post by Fantasy & Sci-Fi Lovin' News and Reviews about how vampires are overrated, and even overcreated.

"And vampires have changed since Dracula's day. They are no longer the creepy guy outside your window, they're the hot guy at school ("Twilight") or the hot private detective (Moonlight, The Vampire Files). And vampires are not just for adults. "Twilight" made them the hottest thing among teenagers since V.C. Andrews, and just in time to capitalize on the phenomenon, the CW has just announced a just-for-TV vampire series."

"What happened to the monstrous bloodsuckers I know and love?"

Taschima:

I like the great variation that the authors have created of vampires. Not all of them have to be gore vampires who only want to kill you. If author wouldn't have this great imagination vampires would have stayed behind, being just tales for when the moon is full and your around the camp fire. Vampires bring something extra to a story. Being it "sparkly" vampires, or the new social-out-of-the-closet vampires from Sookie Stackhouse-true blood- there is always something new and interesting about them all. Hell have you guys watched Underworld? Now that's something else and great. Personally I think the guy or girl who write this is a little old fasion. Change is good, it sells, people like it, get over it. You don't have to specifically be a fan of "Twilight", or even Laurell K. Hamilton's Anite Blake series, there's a vampire style for everyone. I personally like the vampires from The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. They are more spiritual, they have their own race, they don't need to feed from humans (our blood ain't strong enough), and they aren't falling in love with 15 year old girls.

"They're very likely to become instantly fascinated with a sweet, shy ordinary girl and become helplessly devoted to her."

Taschima:

Now this part is true, I never got that. I guess is because not everybody is the same, centuries after centuries you may be looking for the right person and when you actually find your "other half" is not your fault you found him/her when they were 15. Every person is diferent, just as every vampire now in literature have a little of their own sugar, spice and everything nice.

I think the article has some good points, but I would have to disagree with some of them. As I said I like the rainbow of vampires. And even if sometimes the authors go over the top, or even create a whole new species of vampires, its always fun to see what are they going to come up with next. That said, you can give me gore anytime of the day, but give me a little bit of romance also to balance it out.

12 comments:

  1. My favorite vampires are Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's. They can walk around in day light, they have a secret culture, their hot, and they DON'T SPARKLE. Twilight's alright I guess, but it got blown (way) out of porportion. And that's all I'm gonna say about it. *zips lips*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true. When I see Twilight fans I want to vomit. I swear the movie wasn't even that good! And they are all like OMG Twilight Im drowning in my own drool!!!!

    I only have a word to say...

    Y-U-C-K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward is a wuss. Give me Wrath or Rhage any day. I don't want an overly sensitive girlie vampire. I want a big deadly vampire that beats the heck out of EVERYONE for me. That's love right there. "Honey go on a murderous rampage to prove your love for me?" and he says "Yes dear."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Im there with you Jane! Personally mines Wrath, that man is an animal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand the changes in traditional vampire stories that talented authors are doing these days. Adding twists is great. But I never really understtod the whole twilight craze, I read the first book in the series and I wasn't intrigued to continue reading it. The story wasn't original; just the classic star-crossed lovers theme. But Meyer's writing was really good. I liked the style she wrote in. And of course, there is the whole 'team edward' and 'mrs. cullen' thing. I could go on for a while about that, but I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha Nice, I read the book before it became a great thing, and I loved it, but the fanbase have made me kind of dread it. That's why Im Taschima Cullen, I tried to change it, but everyone knows me by this already so, and anyways it goes with Taschima ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Darren Shan's (haha I'm sucha Shanster..) take on vampires!! My favorite by far... but maybe I'm just biased. The movie comes out in January--! Cirque Du Freak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uuuh I want to read that book! Always wanted to, but have super large TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah i love twilight books, but the movie was eh...i kinda turned into a jacob fan during the movie cuz he's so sexy lol...but yeah my fave vampire would be bill from true blood, hes so mysterious but scary when he needs to be rar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is great that there are all kinds of vampire types being created by authors. I liked Dracula and I liked Twilight even though the vampire/vampires are very different form each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just happened on your blog...and I love it! I like Twilight, love the Sookie Stackhouse series, and gotta have the Black Dagger Brotherhood! I'll take Vishous any day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehehe Ill take a Wrath any time of the day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...