•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Thursday 22 May 2014

Throwback Thursday (4): Welcome to Young Adult Sci-FI

I like Sci-Fi, you like Sci-fi, we ALL like sci-fi. YA Sci-Fi is my new hot button. There's just something about humans adapting to new unexpected circumstances that makes me giddy. Those big ships are just really confined spaces with no escape and once you get the blood flowing... well there's no turning back. I also like it when their set up is "humans returning to a desolate Earth years after some nuclear war fare" sci-fi with just a nice hint of dystopian. Like I said, it makes me giddy.




In this post, every Thursday, I showcase TWO titles of my own choosing. One will be a title I read, one will be a title that is currently seating on my TBR pile collecting e-dust. Every week I will have a different theme to this post. Mind you, after a while the themes might just repeat, but who cares as long as the titles stay fresh?

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)

These Broken Stars
by Kaufman & Spooner
Goodreads Rating: 3.96
Published December 10th 2013, by Disney Hyperion

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY I STILL want to read this title: I have to be honest, I started reading this title today. But up until a few days ago this title was collecting actual dust on my bookshelf. I had my boyfriend pick out which book I was to read (I couldn't do it, too many titles I want to read) and he randomly choose a cube of books (I have this huge bookshelf that is made out of cubes) from which I made my selection. I have to say, I may have him do this more often cause this one is turning out to be a gem! I have had to stop and "quote" many things already at Goodreads so the dialogue is definitely something to look forward too. Their situation is also very entertaining, think of it like the Titanic crashing only in space and Rose & Jack hate each others guts. Oh yeah, let the fun begin.


Insignia (Insignia, #1)

Insignia
by S. J. Kincaid
REVIEW here
Goodreads Rating: 4.16
Published July 10th 2012, by Katherine Tegen Books


The earth is in the middle of WWIII in Insignia, the first entry in S. J. Kincaid's fast-paced sci-fi adventure trilogy perfect for fans of Ender's Game.

The planet's natural resources are almost gone, and war is being fought to control the assets of the solar system. The enemy is winning. The salvation may be Tom Raines. Tom doesn't seem like a hero. He's a short fourteen-year-old with bad skin. But he has the virtual-reality gaming skills that make him a phenom behind the controls of the battle drones.

As a new member of the Intrasolar Forces, Tom's life completely changes. Suddenly, he's someone important. He has new opportunities, friends, and a shot at having a girlfriend. But there's a price to pay. . . .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read it, and I might even read it again: I don't know how many times I have to gush about Insignia before everybody takes me seriously and just PICKS UP THIS BOOK. It is so refreshing and entertaining and amazing... Seriously, after reading this one you will just want to read EVERYTHING else S J Kincaid can come up with. It's like Hogwarts in space, only there is no magic or Evil dudes without noses but it does have that spirit that the Harry Potter series is so famous for. Seriously pick it up.

Anyways, I hope I brushed off some dust from some of your titles that are in TBR status. Hopefully I made you remember of those that fell through the cracks, and if anything made you aware of some oldies that are still very much relevant and dying to be read. If you have any suggestions, recommendations, please leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...