•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Saturday 7 April 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Series: Yes
Book #: 1
Pages: 324
Reading Level: YA
Book Rating: Photobucket.7
Goodreads Rating: 4.37
T.B.Published: May 22nd, 2012

Book Teaser

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humour, and waves of romance.

Taschima's POV:

I enjoyed Of Poseidon, and yet I wasn't swept off my feet by it. It is one of those books that you get to enjoy but it doesn't make it into your favourites because it seems like it doesn't have that extra "wow". That thing that just makes it phenomenal. But still, it can totally be that book that you read to have fun, to enjoy the characters, and to be teased till your head feels like it's going to fall of with the romance.

The characters of Emma and Galen really complement each other. She is the feisty girl who doesn't like to be ordered around, and Galen is the spoiled prince who has never been questioned. She helps him be less stuck up, and he helps her be aware of her heritage. At the end of the day though, my favourite character was Galen, because he had so much to put on the table. His interactions with all of the characters were interesting, and fun. I don't particularly swoon when he comes into the picture but I can see where many ladies would be short of breath when he comes into the picture.

Oh and the romance. So teasing, I swear! I needed that though, I needed a romance that kept me at the edge of my seat and screaming "kiss her already man!".

The extra characters - Rayna, Galen's sister, Toraf, Galen's best friend, Chloe, Emma's best friend, Rachel, Galen's pretend mother and ex mob... They all had their parts to play of course. Rayna is very strong headed, and Toraf is basically in love with her. Their story could have had a lot of potential, if it hadn't been resolved so quickly, and so unexpectedly. Given Rayna's character I thought she was going to really have Toraf had it when a particular incident occurred, but let's just say that how that particular thing went down didn't make me happy. Still, I expect to see more of them in the future, and maybe their whole thing can be solved.

The ending was a bit rushed and it felt like a couple of chapters could have been added. I felt robed really, because it was such a cliffhanger! It isn't like I wasn't expecting the ending, but the way it ended left us with all sorts of questions and no answers what so ever. It does build up for the second book, but really I wanted to read it now!

All in all, I say pick it up. It is fun! And enjoyable, and really isn't that what we are searching for when we read? Who knows, it may end up being one of your favourites, it just isn't one of mine. But maybe the second book...

2 comments:

  1. Great honest review! I'm about to start this one. :) Too bad the ending was rushed and that the book didn't sweep you off your feet. I've read mix reviews on this - some people really hated it, some people loved and some people were just in between. Hope I fall on the last two categories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought this would be a more intense read than how it was described (the cover looked serious!).

    Still, it seems like a fun read, and fish people (did they specify merpeople?)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...