•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Sunday 13 March 2011

Re-Read: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling


Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J. K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter
Book #: 1
Pages: 309
Reading Level: Middle Grade?
Book Rating
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility. 

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years. 

But all of that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable. 

For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.
Taschima's POV:

This is not going to be a normal review. I mean, who doesn't know about Harry Potter? It's a classic!

You know Harry Potter was the first book I ever read? My first. Only I didn't begin the series with the first book, I read the second book first. I had already watched the first movie, so my mother (who had read the first few books) recommended I skip the first book and just read the second one (she was trying to get me to read, have I ever thanked you mom?). So I read the second book (in Spanish mind you), fell in love and then read the first book.

So Ive grown up obviously, and things that went unnoticed before I notice now. Like for example, the writing. I guess I always just thought of Harry Potter as something aimed at a more mature readership because when I started reading it now I was just like "oh gosh, was the writing always like this?". It certainly has its middle grade reader touches; the way J. K. Rowling paints a picture, the way she describes, etc. Its not bad by any means, it's just funny how I noticed this now and how it blew me away. 

Oh and the first movie is by far one of the best, if not the very best, Harry Potter movie ever released! It sticks to the book so closely!! Which I love <3 Some things were changed but I think it was for the best =] No complaints here!

Harry Potter, oh how much I loves you. My favorite series ever! It's just one of those reads you cannot not read. If I ever have children you KNOW they are reading these books. Whether they like it or not. It's going to be a rite of passage of sorts.

What about you? What are your feelings toward HP? Have you re-read it like I did and found changes? Let me know!! I will be reading the second book as soon as I get it in English (I jave it in Spanish; I don't like reading in Spanish)

5 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to get round to reading Harry Potter again but there's so many books to read at the moment!

    I can't remember how, where or why I bought/read the first book but I remember buying the second and third (ironically) at a train station and reading them on a train on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am ridiculously in love with the Harry Potter series! It was one of the first series I read and I absolutely devoured the books as a kid. I've re-read the earlier books a bit to refresh my memory sometimes and I've definitely noticed that too, that I find more new things with each re-read. I love it though, I really enjoy seeing things in a different light or understanding things better on a re-read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I miss this series so much too. I remember going to the releases for them!! It's so sad that it's almost over...well, movie wise...haha I love this book so much. I'm looking forward to her new series though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ali new series? what? where? when? how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Harry Potter, oh how much I loves you. My favorite series ever!" Taschima, how much i love you for posting this. My thoughts exactly. I actually re-read Potty (nickname my bff gave him haha) last month, I also noticed exactly that! I was like: was it always like this? I mean 12 years later (I'm 19, I read it for the first time when I was 7, my mom bought it for me too! Our moms are just awesome like that) the writing is very... child-oriented. I still love it. Nothing will ever replace Harry Potter in my heart, I actually blame Potty for being the one who started it all and made me fall in love with books and reading and stories in general. That's also what I love about Harry Potter, how the writing, the story the characters grew with me, it evolved and matured as I was maturing. Woah, I got carried away haha

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...