•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Saturday 10 April 2010

The Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus


Title: NaNny Returns
Series: The NaNny Diaries
Author: Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus
Pages: 320
Publisher: Atria
Reading Level: Adult
Reading Timeline: About 2-3 days.
Rating:
.6

Nan revisits 721 Park, home of the moneyed but morally bankrupt Xs, and the boy she guiltily left behind in their inept care in this smart and sassy sequel to The Nanny Diaries. And though Nan has grown up a bit, married Harvard Hottie Ryan and traveled the world, the plight of the rich and stupid continues, as does Nan's new crusade to save former charge Grayer and his younger brother Stilton, renovate a crumbling East Harlem mansion and stick it out at a soulless Manhattan private school.

Outcomes are deeply uncertain, though Nan is nothing if not a natural-born cheerleader: I know what I'm worth. Because I care for these kids, I do, right down to my toes, she says of her young charges in and out of school. There's still one fear, however—whether she'll ever be able to make the leap from nanny to mommy. McLaughlin and Kraus leave no dry eyes as they once again wield a razor-sharp wit that cuts down the most uppity mortals even as it lifts up their vulnerable children.

Taschima:

Kinda, sorta...

The sequel to Nanny Returns starts 12 years after the last book. Nan is all grown up and married to H.H. (Harvard Hottie). Which is kinda sweet. They have sent all their life together in all sorts of parts of the world doing work and helping people. But Nan wants to go back home again so they return to New York, buy a condo which is completely destroyed, but a condo they see having some future, and Nan starts looking for clients for her business. Everything is doing well, until one night Grayer knocks on her door in all his majesty- which means he is 16 and drunk. Nan soon discovers that the X's life has fallen apart, Dad left, Mom is a zombie, and these stupid people decided to have another son... Grayer needs help, Nan needs redemption, what do you think is going to happen?

Nan returns with its old funny humor though a little more mature. Not a lot changes about her, just circumstances and age. She still managed to piss me off at times when she kept her mouth shut off and she still lets people push her around which I didn't like at all. But she still has her humor and charm.

The story had a lot of stuff going on, a lot of different characters, sometimes I didn't really remembered some and when they came to the story I was like, Ok, who are you? And some things were like choppy and left for you to figure it out. I found holes and story lines left unfinished. By the end of the book I didn't want to finish reading because a lot of questions were left unanswered.

Now Grayer... My sweet, little boy which I loved in the first book but just wanted to kick in the second. He has gone through a lot which would explain his behavior, but in every chance Nanny had to talk to him he blow her off. But he is a terrific father... Sorry! I meant brother! He treats his little brother like his father never treated him.

I was sad seeing Grayer grow, I wanted the little kid again. The one with the Jazz hands. But everyone grows up right?

As I said before the ending was left unfinished, lots of questions in my brain.

So why did I keep reading? For the humor, to know what would happen to Grayer and Nan, because the heart of the book was still unchanged from the first book, and because it was a fun light read. If you are expecting to find something that will blow your literature minds off, well, don't read this, but if you have read The Nanny Diaries I suggest you read the sequel if just to know what happens. Also, I think that you can read this book without reading the first one actually, it fills you up on what happened the first one and could really be a stand alone. Also it's not hard to continue reading, because it's not slow at any point. There is always something happening.

Lets see if this one has a sequel, if not well, farewell Nan and Grayer!

9 comments:

  1. I just picked up the first one of these (I know, I'm slow) and I am looking forward to reading it even more now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read first book(I haven't even seen the movie). Not sure this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie. I'm not sure if I wanna read the book. Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard about the Nanny Diaries but only in connection with that movie. I didn't even know it was a book! The movie looked like fun but I kinda doubt I'd have enough patience to read the book, I'm not into too much fluff/light reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the first book and I'm sad to hear Grayer turned out that way. Your review was excellent I just wish the book had lived up to the first! I'll have to check it out for myself though. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may add these to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I have not read this book but it does sound interesting. I would probably read to the end to see the outcome but I have put on the bottom of my to buy list. lol..Sorry but spending money on this book is not in my budget so if I win I will read, if not will not read..

    extra entry RAC

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I haven't read the first book yet.
    kghobbs(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I have used your synopsis/review on my blog post. You can check it out here : http://whyyyjen.blogspot.com/2012/06/book-window-shopping.html
    :)

    whyyyjen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...