•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Wednesday 10 November 2010

The Mermaid Craze!

Are Vampires a thing of the past? 
I thought Angels were going to be the new "thing", but are they?
Do you think Mermaids are taking over?

 Paperback, 288 pages
Published March 3rd 2011 by Crown Publishing Group


The story of two very different women, one mortal, one mermaid, and the clash between worlds best kept apart... 


It is a cold day at the end of the world when a young woman, a princess in hiding, looks out across a Northern sea and sees something she could not have seen. It looks...it can't be. It looks like a mermaid's tail. And, as she looks more closely, she sees that the mermaid is dragging a drowning sailor in her arms. Because, only hours before, another princess, the daughter of the sea queen, has decided to risk everything and take a look at the world above the sea: the world of mortals. And there she finds a storm, a shipwreck, a sailor, and sets in train events which will change both women's worlds for ever. 


Published June 7th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her sister as a siren, the highest calling a mermaid can have. But when her sister runs away to the mainland, reportedly to elope with a human, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. 

Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily through the streets of New Sweeling. There, she will come upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood - Alandare, a boy, now a man, who belongs to a winged race of people. Together, Esmerine and Alandare put aside their differences to find her sister, and in the process discover a love that cannot be bound by land, sea, or air. 


Hardcover, 304 pages
Published July 4th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's

What happens to the girls nobody sees—the ones who are ignored, mistreated, hidden away? The girls nobody hears when they cry for help?

Fourteen-year-old Luce is one of those lost girls. After her father vanishes in a storm at sea, she is stuck in a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village with her alcoholic uncle. When her uncle crosses an unspeakable line, Luce reaches the depths of despair. Abandoned on the cliffs near her home, she expects to die when she tumbles to the icy, churning waves below. Instead, she undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid. 
A tribe of mermaids finds Luce and welcomes her in—all of them, like her, lost girls who surrendered their humanity in the darkest moments of their lives. The mermaids are beautiful, free, and ageless, and Luce is thrilled with her new life until she discovers the catch: they feel an uncontrollable desire to drown seafarers, using their enchanted voices to lure ships into the rocks. 

Luce’s own talent at singing captures the attention of the tribe’s queen, the fierce and elegant Catarina, and Luce soon finds herself pressured to join in committing mass murder. Luce’s struggle to retain her inner humanity puts her at odds with her friends; even worse, Catarina seems to regard Luce as a potential rival. But the appearance of a devious new mermaid brings a real threat to Catarina’s leadership and endangers the very existence of the tribe. Can Luce find the courage to challenge the newcomer, even at the risk of becoming rejected and alone once again? 

Lost Voices is a captivating and wildly original tale about finding a voice, the healing power of friendship, and the strength it takes to forgive. 



Published June 28th 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books


On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mer girl, true, but signing the renunciation paperwork will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being human thing once and for all. 


Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer-bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form, when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody? 


The seafoam on the surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up. Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her dreams?


I love, love, love , looooveee the Mermaid cover, and the Lost Voices cover, and the Between the Sea and Sky cover... The Fins are Forever cover is nice and cute. I like the font of Mermaid, Lost Voices and Between the Sea and Sky, and I love how simple yet beautiful the covers are. It suits the mermaid theme. And I like the colors of Fins are Forever, to me it looks sorta punk-ish.


I can't wait for these kick ass mermaid novels to come out; I never thought I would say that. I mean, mermaid? Normally not my thing, but these authors make them sound like I should have been reading stories about them all along. Vampires? Werewolves? Angels? Demons? Oh no, It's Mermaid time ;)


15 comments:

  1. Seriously, I tried to get my niece to dress up as a vampire mermaid for Holloween. Fins and Fangs - it's only a matter of time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I now want all of those books! I've always loved mermaids (The Little Mermaid *is* the best disney film ever) and now there's loads of books coming out next year! *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mermaids, all of these sound great! I have Forgive my Fins, and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of Carolyn Turgeon's MERMAID until now--I'm in love with the cover and synopsis O_O

    Aaaaaah, Jaclyn Dolamore. I haven't read her other book but I'm planning to! The cover for BETWEEN THE SEA & SKY is epic though :D

    I'm with you about the mermaids--it's their time to shine now xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't realize there were so many upcoming books with mermaids. I've only read two books that had mermaids and I've liked what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no clue there were so many mermaid books coming out besides Fins Are Forever (which I'm super excited about, btw).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mermaids sounds good. We've had plenty of 'dark' creatures to last a few more years; let's have something bright and positive. And at least mermaids would make more sense sparkling in the sunlight...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I haven't read a whole lot of mermaid books, so I'm fine with more books on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah for the love of mermaids :) I love Mermaids and all of these sound excited. When I had initially seen the covers I thought the same thing about the mermaids being the new "thing."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen a few of these books on blogs lately but didn't realize that there were so many! Definitely cool covers. I'll have to read at least one to see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AAAAHHH I LOVE THIS POST!!! Thank you so much for this post, I love Mermaids! I've been looking for an awesome Mermaid book since I read "Forgive My Fins"...I just didn't like that one, sadly. I might read the next one anyway. Who could resist all these beautiful sea covers?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought zombies were going to be the new thing. XD But YES, if it's all about mermaids, I want to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been "craving" mermaids lately! I have no idea why, but all of these are on my TBR list now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's definitely time for a change. That change might as well be mermaids, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow almost all of these sound fantastic. I had only heard of Lost Voices and Fins are Forever but the others sound so wonderful and the covers are so beautiful ^_^.

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...