•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Friday 17 January 2014

So I started reading White Lines by Jennifer Banash...



So White Lines is about this teenage girl who's life is spiralling out of control. She spends her nights working the scene at the hippest clubs around town (dancing, doing drugs, and basically having the time of her life), while by day she attends a high class reformatory high school  because she was caught inhaling coke in the bathroom of her previous school. Her parents? Not in the picture. She isn't an orphan, they just don't care enough to ground her or help her get her life in check. She even lives alone in a tiny apartment on the bad side of town. Some may say "sweet!" but I am thinking not.

This book has all those crazy rebellious thoughts that we have as teenagers playing out ("I wished I had my own place", "I wanna party all night", "I wanna try all kinds of things, at least once", etc.), and it puts them into action, showing them to their limit. It shows the good side of an independent teenage rebellious life, while also showing the very bad sides. All this written beautifully and seamlessly.



So far I am really enjoying it. It is set in the 80s so it has all these cool references to Madonna and other things like VCRs. The main character is definitely broken, she is dark and twisty and has lots of issues to work through. Sometimes it is just a tad uncomfortable to read the things she does, because I can't fathom why she would do such things, but that is part of the read. It's messy, it's truthful, and it doesn't back away from the hard parts; this is my favorite part of the novel aside from how beautifully it is written. Though because the book doesn't have a set "goal" or "end game" it can sometimes be a slow-going read.

At the end of the day I was not this girl, so living vicariously through her and seeing "the scene" is pretty darn cool, I just hope by the end she gets her happy ending and not a tragic one.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this book. LOVED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I can tell just from those few quotes that this author is absolutely brilliant at what she does. I experienced a lot of.....stuff growing up, but the thing that I had that this character obviously doesn't was a mom who loved me so very much. Who never gave up on me. And while it took a long time, because of that I was able to change. It definitely makes me curious to see what happens with her without that love. Is she able to overcome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this book has great writing and I would enjoy the 80's references. After reading the blurb, I thought this might be a little hard to read because the main character is so rebellious and wild but I like your idea of "living vicariously through her"! I too hope for a happy ending and not a tragic one!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...