•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Saturday 4 September 2010

Hillary Duff's Book

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Publish Date: October 12, 2010

Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before.

When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures.

First thing that came to mind: Hilary Duff is sorta famous, which means she has money, which means she must have connections, if this were all true, why couldn't she get a better looking cover?! I mean, the color is pretty enough, the font is cool looking, sorta gossip girl-ish, but the image itself? Shoot me dead and call me sparky. I guess if it was looking for boring looking, well, it hit right off the park.

The cover is the first impression. It's hard, so hard to get over that first impression, specially if it's a bad one. We are already a bit (yeah, right) cynic about the writing skills, some people are even wandering if she had someone else write the book for her... Bottom line, the cover is just not helping.

THEN AGAIN, as Ive said before on some other post, I have a bit of faith that Hilary can pull it off. The summary sounds kinda interesting, maybe enough to compel me to pick up the book, and Hilary has made it into my Top 5 guilty pleasure list so I don't hate her. Yet some people are very weary as to if this book was published because of the author's name on the title, or because she is a gifted writer.

Who's rooting for Hilary along side with me? Who is not? ;)

12 comments:

  1. I'm stunned not only by the bad cover, but also by the awful blurb! Dull dull dull. I will be interested to see what people make of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is pretty bland...but I'd give Hilary a chance! I like her and I think she could write a good story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rhiannon Hart Hahahahaha Your funny

    @Pirate Prenguin I just visited your blog!!! Im with ya, will give her a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am somewhat skeptical about this book, but I agree with you, she could surprise us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm...im not too sure...I think she had an easy ride into the industry but Im gonna give it a try anyway then put my full judgement out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's weird - if Hilary were unknown and coming out with a debut book, we wouldn't be so hard on her as far as expectations. But because she's already famous, it seems her book is already working with a handicap. I have to admit, my first thought was "Really? she wrote this herself?"

    Think is, she sings and I believe writes some of her songs, so maybe she IS talented enough to write a young adult novel. Maybe not - but there's a lot of writers out there that aren't coming out with a debut book that already has marks against it just because we know their name...or their prior accomplishments...

    Even though I'm guilty of thinking of her book with a bias, it doesn't seem fair of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guilty of being weary. BUT I am still curious about the book. All I'm looking froward to is the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of like her, but I don't know if I should spend my money on this book. I probably won't, but I would read this, definitely.

    The cover is plain, but not ugly so I guess it's fine for me. Maybe it'll look better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Hilary, so I think I might give this a chance, even if it doesn't sound like quite my cup of tea haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sort of rutting for her - of all the celebs her age out there she's my favorite - not a spotlight whore at all.

    The cover is so-so, I like the colors and writing, but you're right the image is blah.

    I think I'll see what people say about it and borrow it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even if I didn't know who Hilary Duff is, I'd maybe pick the book up. The cover is different so I'd at least look at it and flip through it while it was on the shelf. If I like what I read I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a fan of the cover, or the blurb. I'm going to hope, however, that she had no say in it. I am rooting for her, although it may be a bit hypocritical (I really wasn't rooting for Lauren Conrad).

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...