•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Wednesday 16 April 2014

So I started reading Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong...

... and I'm not going to lie, it's pretty freaking good!

Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)

"As I was saying, everyone comes back," Moria said. "Every Seeker. Every hound. Every volunteer. Every guard. They do their duty and they return, and all is well. You can't tell me that every Seeker has been perfect. They must make mistakes. It doesn't matter. I'm not even sure if the rituals matter at all. It is a kindness to the spirits of the damned, but would they truly rise up and attack? If it's never happened before, I'll wager it can't."
"Don't be blasphemous, Rya."
"If you don't fret, I'll not say scandalous things." Moria paused. "Which would be rather difficult, but since I'm quite certain you'll never stop fretting, I do believe I'm safe."
Ashyn threw her arms around her sister so abruptly that Moria ler out a yip of surprise. Ashyn smiled and hugged her until that rigid steel melted and Moria embraced her, whispering, "You're ready, Ash. I know you are."

Moria and Ashyn sisterly relationship takes front and center during the events of Sea of Shadows. They are both special, and both uniquely their own. They complement each other, each girl making up for what the other one lacks. Moria is strong spirited and isn't afraid to make a scene and get her point across...

"Before he could finish the sentence, her blade tip was digging into the bottom of his jaw.
"I am the Keeper of the Forest, boy," she said. "Do you think those pretty patterns on your arms give you the right to threaten me? They do not. Even if your father was still marshal, they would not. I will take your glowers. I will take your insults. I will take your warnings that you'll abandon me by the roadside if I do not keep pace. But you will not call me a liar. And you will not threaten me."


... while Ashyn is more gentle, and a dreamer. She is a romantic, yet at the same time she is not naive nor an idiot. She is kind and more easy spoken than Moira, with a leveled head on her shoulders. This is a little piece of Ashyn:

"It made a romantic tale. The young rogue, cheating death, returning to his grieving lover. But in reality...?Ashyn had always known that life did not resemble one of her book stories or Moria's bard tales, and yet there'd been part of her that hoped it did. The more she saw, the more she realized she was wrong. People made up those stories because it's what they wanted from their world. A place where goodness, kindness, and honor were rewarded. They were not rewarded."

Both voices are easy to tell apart so you will not be confused when reading since the tale is told from the two girl's POVs. Even though there is a name at the beginning of the title for which girl's turn it is to tell the tale, it is hardly ever needed. I find myself wishing this tale would not end! The writing is so good, and the situations are realistic yet infused with magic. I want to keep reading it forever... yet I am too close to the end to want to slow down.

2 comments:

  1. Before this was released I was anticipating it's debut. I even shared it on one of my Waiting on Wednesday's post. Well it came out and I have had the chance to read it yet. I've been waiting for the library copy. BUT THE HELL WITH THAT! You definitely got me sold!
    I'm going to buy this book now! Like today! :) so THANK YOU for sharing!
    Michelle @ Book Hangover Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you enjoyed it and that the main character is a romantic but at the same time not naive! that would annoy me SO MUCH! I have a copy of this and i'm excited to start reading it! great review :D

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...