•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Sunday 7 December 2014

So I Started Reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman...

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)

... and I can honestly say that I don't see what the fuzz is all about. I am only halfway but I've already wished on several occasions that I could put the book down and just read something else. Throughout the story there is little to no real conflict and that makes me oh so very bored. I guess the Magicians is supposed to be "Harry Potter for grown ups" but really, what fun is it? Harry Potter needs no help being accepted by any age group, there is no necessity for an appropriate age adaptation. So The Magicians is not Harry Potter for grown ups. The Magicians turns out to be just a coming of age story which happens to center around a magical preppy college for geniuses. It is at times very depressing, there is little to no dialogue, and you don't really get to enjoy the time spent at said college. If anything The Magicians tries to take the magic away and turn what should have been an escape into just another ordinary setting. The characters are dull, the world is underdeveloped... and I am only halfway through!

Here's to hoping this gets slightly more interesting...

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. I'm so with you-I started reading this exactly because of the HP hype but didn't even get very far because it was just. so. boring. I DNFed and I wouldn't blame you if you ended up doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this a few months ago and hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm glad I read this post before starting it, so that I can be prepared. Hopefully the other half of it was better.

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...