•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Sunday 26 October 2014

The Battle of Hardcover VS Paperback: What's up with the changing of covers?

Glow (Sky Chasers, #1) Glow
Hardcover - Paperback

So, Glow, by Amy Kathleen Ryan, has a paperback cover version. As does Shatter Me (see post below this one), as did Delirium (though Delirium also offered it's new cover in hardcover)... All to accomodate a completely unrelated version of the book's sequel. This sucks.

The first cover of Glow captivated hundreds of people. It was simple, elegant, and beautiful. Just what we needed really, a nice change from the pretty-girls-in-dresses trend (a trend I am in full support of. Most of those covers are stunning). But then they released this:

Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
Glow's Sequel, Spark.

... and hundreds of people went into epileptic shock. This cover doesn't look anything like the first cover, in fact it looks kind of bad. So of course the next logical step is to make the paperback version of Glow resemble this nothing special cover. Which is what led to this:

Glow Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
Not amused...

No, just, no. Stop doing this! If at first you don't suceed, try again sure, but if at first you definitely suceed then DON'T MESS IT UP. I'ts that simple! What are the reasons to change the cover so drastically anyways? So that people are "forced" to buy the paperback version in order for it to actually make sense with the sequel cover? To create buzz about the release of the paperback? To give us variety? If you are trying to give us some sort of variety I then say to also give us a hardcover option choice that resembles the original cover.

Unless the cover you come up with the second time around is better, then by all means ignore my pleas.



7 comments:

  1. Ah... not a fan of the new covers. Totally like the old cover better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN! This bothers me so much it's not even funny. The other day I went to go pick up Black Heart by Holly Black and the cover is totally different from the first 2 books in the series! I mean seriously, why would you stick with the same style for 2 out of 3 books in a trilogy and then decide to change it up at the last minute?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taschima :)

    I dunno what these publishers or cover artists are thinking, but I really don't like it when covers change like this, or if there are just bad covers in general. I have a bad feeling that the cover artists don't read the book, and just go off with the summary or something. I agree with sch_94 on her rhetorical question, hehe.

    Happy reading!
    -Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely! I hate it when they get a cover right the first time and they change it up. I like having my series match. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Briana, me too!

    @sch_94 strange method of torture? >.<

    Hey Kirthi! I don't think they read the book either, but even if they don't they managed to make a heck of a cover the first time around, why not stick with that designer? Or if they didn't change designers, why did the designer and Publisher decide to go in a different direction?

    @Ash (looove the name) anyways, I like having my series match too and now it won't T__T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I don't understand any of this. Changing the visual is like changing a part of the book. At least that's how it makes me feel everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think publishers do this because a book probably didn't sell as much as they had hoped for
    and they believe that this is because of the cover so they revamp it in hopes of making it appeal to wider audiences and to gain the book more attention. I understand this concept and believe it may have worked for Delirium and Ashes by Isla Bick but in many cases the new revamped covers are hideous and generic while the originals were gorgeous and unique like Glow, Leviathan, and Nightshade.

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...