•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Friday 6 June 2014

Book Expo America: Books, Authors, and Friends (Day 1)


I have been going to Book Expo America (BEA) for about 5 years. Every year there is always something that rocks the boat, last year it was Power Reader day and this year it is that event called BookCon... but we shall get to that later. After all, this is only day one of the festivities.

You want to see what a real BEA schedule looks like? Pay close attention, this is what I do every year:

The day before I go to sleep early. Like, 9-10 pm early because believe me you shall need it. Then...

  • 4:00 - 4:30 a.m. You wake up! The goal is to get ready quick, depending on where your hotel is at the quicker you are at getting ready the better. Take your hair time, make up time, etc. into account ladies!
  • 5:30 a.m. Out of the hotel! Walking to the Javitz. You may stop on a Dunking Donuts on the way for some much needed coffee. Unless you want to take your chances with the Starbucks at the Javitz...
  • 6:00 a.m. Arrive at the Javitz and get comfy because the doors don't open until 9 a.m!
  • 7:00 a.m. Starbucks opens, you can then also check your bags at this time.
  • 9 a.m. BLAST OFF!
Yes, these hours may sound crazy but  the first day of BEA, in fact all the days of BEA, is like the first day of school. You are so excited, you have all your outfits planned out, you can barely sleep the day before... It is amazing.



This year BEA was definitely not a disappointed. If anything I would say this was the most relaxed year of them all. I could feel the good vibe in the air! Sure, there were some tales of people bumping into people and taking their books (sources not confirmed however) but overall you could feel the good blogger karma in the air.

Not only that but BEA has stepped up it's game when it comes to organization. The forming of lines was better than in years past where lines were going EVERYWHERE and no one had any idea what was going on. This year the rules were clear early on: if you wanted to start a line get in contact with the volunteer that is assigned to the table your author is to be signing at and then have them guide you to where you can wait and that was that (of course this didn't work so well on BookCon day... but we shall get to that). Special tahnk you to all the volunteers who were crazy enough to give us their time on these days (you are angels).

Now, for the good stuff... THE BOOKS/AUTHORS:

I will admit it, I was busy. Thursday was probably one of my busiest days. I got to the convention center early, but I didn't go into the floor with my fellow bloggers because I decided to attend an event held by the amazing people at Harlequin. 

Pictures may not be the best... I only had an ipod to take pics with and it was real noisy.
Their blogger breakfast was a great way to get some one on one time with the authors they were showcasing this year like Julie Kagawa (Talon), Jennifer Armentrout (Stone Cold Touch), Alexandra Ardonetto (Ghost House), Robin Talley (Lies we Tell Ourselves), and Adi Alsaid (Let's Get Lost). Dawn Metcalf was unfortunately stuck in traffic and unable to attend the breakfast, though her series sequel's book (Invisible) did make an appearance! I had never even met Jennifer Armentrout in person so this was definitely a first. I think I shall never confuse her again in my life because she is pretty sweet and awesome and has a very pretty distinctive appearance (she looks kick ass). 

The man is Adi Alsaid.
Fabulous woman in the middle is Julie Kagawa.
Woman to the right is Alexandra Adornetto.
I also got to meet Jeaniene Frost, writer of the Night Huntress series, by far my favorite adult author!! I was so excited I am pretty sure my stomach did a little back flip.

FIRST DAY HAUL:


Remember, these are the books that keep me occupied for the rest of the year. So you could say I was busy (*understatement*) I was lucky enough to have my co-bloggers Chaz and Kylene as little helpers however so that is why I was able to land so many of the titles in my most wanted list.

I did see some repeats from previous years past in the convention, like Burn for Burn by Jenny Han (2012), The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012), Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken (2013)... Yeah, we noticed. They didn't even put these signings during BookCon day, the obvious choice for the placement of these titles since these were older titles that had been present at BEA's past conventions (I know because I have the titles already, signed). 

SCORE: The Book of Life (total score since I didn't even know it was going to be at the convention!), Sinner, Black Ice, Afterworlds, Zodiac, The Walled City, and of course The Beutiful Ashes

Scores: Lock In, Night Sky, Guy in Real Life, Messenger of Fear.

Score: The Jewel, Love is the Drug, Talon, Trial by Fire, Vault of Dreamers.
Basically if you are looking for a vacation destination look no further than New York city in May. Book Expo America is definitely worth your hard earned money, though if I could I would suggest you buy the ticket that allows access for all 3 days of the convention instead of just BookCon (that is another story all together... more on that later). 


Special mention goes to the roomies I love and get to see each and every year, they make the whole trip worth it. Plus, even if you don't know anybody all you have to do is go in, make a line, and spark up a conversation with your neighbor about books. Instant friends! How do you think I met my roomies? ;)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing experience. I'm so jealous right now!! :D
    I loved reading your blog. Where I live there is nothing like this.. So now I know a little about how these things go. A trip to the BEA is definitely going on my 'To-Do'list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did hear that the organization was much better this year, and as a first timer, I felt it was pretty organized (with a few disappointments, but that's a okay!).

    Looking forward to read about BookCon, because that was a beast I did not understand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That schedule is intense! I know everyone says they go to bed early, which seems to generally be 9-10 like you said, but that's my regular bedtime! Haha, although those morning hours...geez. I feel like I'll need to train to prepare myself for next year. :P

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...